Dear friends and relatives,
Happy Holidays, everyone! Hope your year was better than ours.
Last Christmas we planned to meet our two sons and their families half-way between them. The hotel lost our reservation, but they were nice enough to call around to find us some rooms (four). The only place that had a vacancy was in downtown Newark. The pawn shops closed at five on Christmas Eve, which was a blessing, but with the pubs and sports bars rocking on either side of us, we decided to order Chinese in. We exchanged gifts on Christmas morning in front of the little tree that stood on the counter in the office, then spent the rest of the day at Chucky Cheese.
Charley and I travelled north from Florida twice last winter. Once was when granddaughter Hannah swallowed a barette in the backseat of their car. The other was when granddaughter Olivia got smacked with a lacrosse stick that severed her front tooth. Most of you know that Charley insists on wearing a mask if he has to fly. I flew on the same plane but five rows behind him (too embarassed), and the kid next to me threw up the whole flight. When we changed planes in Atlanta, an ice storm closed the airport, so we spent the night on the benches in Terminal C. Just when we finally got to sleep around 4 a.m., the cleaning crew reported to work and began vacuuming under us.
Going home after the other trip, the police dog smelled something in my luggage. They couldn't find anything (no surprise there!), but the police dog kept yapping, so we ended up in the back of a van with a couple of tattooed gang members in handcuffs. Inside the detention room they discovered it was the nail glue I'd packed. By the way, the hospital suctioned the barrette out of Hannah and Olivia has a new cap on her tooth.
We babysat the twins during the summer, while their parents went to a college reunion. Unfortunately, one of the twins climbed up on a chair while we weren't looking and let our pet bird, Petey, out of its cage. The bird flew directly up into the ceililng fan and dropped like a stone. Naturally our cat, Fluffy, pounced on the poor dazed bird and carted it off to a hiding place. When we heard the choking, we knew we could find Fluffy, but it was too late for both of them. A part of Petey got stuck and we lost both of them.
With two pets gone so suddenly, Charley and I were too depressed to take our annual trip to Niagara Falls. We postponed it till this year, when I'll celebrate a BIG ONE. The thought that I am going to be that old may keep me from going anywhere, but the kids say they'll have a cake and ice cream, anyway.
Have a very Merry Christmas and stay well! Love, Pam and Charley
P.S. - We are fortunate to be in good health, except for the dislocated shoulder that Charley suffered when he was skimboarding with the grandchildren and the Achilles I tore in a shuffleboard match.
- Delray Beach, FL, Westport, MA, United States
- Undergraduate degree, Colby College; MA in teaching, Columbia Teacher's College; former high school English teacher in three states; former owner of interior design co. with advanced degree from R.I. School of Design. Published first book in 2009 titled, MINOR LEAGUE MOM: A MOTHER'S JOURNEY THROUGH THE RED SOX FARM TEAMS. Her humorous manuscript titled ELDERLY PARENTS WITH ALL THEIR MARBLES: A SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR THE KIDS was published in June, 2014. In 2015 A SURVIVAL GUIDE won a gold medal in the self-help category at the Florida Authors & Publishers Association conference. See website By CLICKING HERE.