About Me

My photo
Delray Beach, FL, Westport, MA, United States
Undergraduate degree, Colby College; MA in English, Columbia Teacher's College; former high school English teacher in three states; former owner of interior design co. with MA from R.I. School of Design. Barking Cat Books published my first book in 2009 titled, MINOR LEAGUE MOM: A MOTHER'S JOURNEY THROUGH THE RED SOX FARM TEAMS. My humorous manuscript titled ELDERLY PARENTS WITH ALL THEIR MARBLES: A SURVIVAL GUIDE FOR THE KIDS was published in June, 2014. In 2015 A SURVIVAL GUIDE won a gold medal in the self-help category at the Florida Authors & Publishers Association conference. In 2018 Barking Cat Books published my SURVIVING YOUR DREAM VACATION: 75 RULES TO KEEP YOUR COMPANION TALKING TO YOU ON THE ROAD. See website By CLICKING HERE.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A Belated Mother's Day Tribute to My Mom Evelyn (1915-2006)


Evelyn at age 25, 1940


Because you carried me home from kindergarten in a blizzard,
I learned trust.

Evelyn and Pam, 1943

Because you volunteered as Brownie leader and supplied store-boughts for meetings,
I saw dependability.


Because you donated a nickel as my neighborhood newspaper’s first customer,
I felt pride.

Because you designed campaign posters for my student government election,
I witnessed creativity.

Because you quizzed me before tests in school,
I acquired readiness.

Because you welcomed girlfriend sleep-overs in the living room and teenage “cider” parties on the lawn,
I developed self-confidence.

Because you typed my compositions till midnight and went to work in the morning,
I gained self-discipline.
Pam and Evelyn at grandson Todd's wedding, 2000

Because you organized details of my wedding so I could finish my college degree,
I found gratitude.


Because you provided a home for your ailing parents,
I saw devotion.

Because you offered me shelter while Charley went to war in a place we’d never heard of,
I tasted fidelity.

Because you baked your grandsons lop-sided birthday cakes and never refused to babysit,
I knew unconditional love.

Because you and Dad said “I love you” each night before you slept,
I heard eternity.
Pam's Mom and Dad, 1995

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom, from all of us who remember.





7 comments:

  1. Beautiful story. Two beautiful Ladies. Happy Mother’s to you Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to all of you for reading and commenting!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't now how I missed this. It's wonderful, and it brought back sweet memories of my own mother.

    ReplyDelete